gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:23:38 -0500

Re: [PLUG] What's smime.p7s? (Was: Ginger)

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 04:51:01PM -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>          HOWEVER, most S/MIME implementations are based around the X.509
> standard for public keys since PGP uses a separate standard called OpenPGP
> (I believe) for putting it's data into email messages.

Arguably, X.509 is nicer, since it can be used both for ssh public
keys and for signatures. (Though, as always, you should use a
separate or subkey for encryption, since it is logically separate
from authentication.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net