epike on Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:30:21 +0100

Re: [PLUG] questions on an office-wide conversion

> I have a few questions for you folks:
>
> 1. My previous experience with Linux has been primarily through MC on
> our servers rather than GUI-based.  My husband set up a small box with
> KDE on Redhat recently and when I was playing with it, it seemed
> really slow.  The box had 64 Meg of RAM and appeared to me to be
> significantly slower than Windows 9X on a 32 Meg box.  Are we just not
> figuring out the best implementation yet?  Is Gnome better?  Or does
> putting a GUI on Linux make it slower than a Windows box and I just
> have to plan to need lots of RAM?

Could be the disk I/O is slowing things up.  If you're on an IDE
disk drive consider reading on the "hdparm" command..(but warning,
playing on hdparm could potentially ruin your disk).

Many times on older RedHat versions I've had to adjust the hdparm
setting such as enabling write-cache (probably not a good idea
but I like it enabled), 32-bit support, and so on.

e pike / JondZ