Robert J. Squire Jr. on Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:10:16 +0100

[PLUG] linux VPN system for windows clients.

Hello:

I'm looking for a VPN system to run on linux that will allow me to connect my company with our sister company in Scotland.  I run Debian Woody so I've looked at the tunnels available in the package tree including Cipe, FreeSwan, and Vtun.  I've also looked at PoPToP from www.moretonbay.com and am leaning toward this because according to their documentation there are windows clients readily available.
Both LANs are behind firewalls so I think that an SSH tunnel will be the best thing but I lack the experience to be sure.
The system will have to transparently pass smb and nmb traffic as well as http traffic.  Ideally it will also allow NT domain logins and handle name resolution using nmb transparently.  I know this is a tall order but if anyone has any experience implementing a system like this I could use a push in the right direction.  Right now the variety of possible solutions combined with the lack of a clear list of capabilities is a bit overwhelming.

Thanks:

Rob Squire

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, What should be the reward of such sacrifices? … If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom — go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you."  --Samuel Adams