Brian Epstein on Mon, 24 Dec 2001 08:49:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: How to set up SSH?

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 08:00:05PM +0000, jbeck@jbwd.net wrote:
> > > SSH is not necessary at all.  FTP or Telnet would also completely serve
> > > the purpose.  If they are simpler, can you explain how to enable them?  I
> > > am just looking for the simplest way possible to get the files between the
> > > windows box and the RH 7.1 box (without a floppy and running between
> > > rooms!  :-)
>
> Uncomment ftpd in /etc/inetd.conf and then kill -HUP `ps ax | grep
> inetd | awk '{ print $1 }'` (or do whatever RH thinks you should do
> to restart inetd) and you should be done.

If you have a default RH 7.1 box, you'll be using xinetd instead of inetd
(unless you specified differently).  The configuration file you are
looking for is /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd.  There should be a "disable = yes"
line in there.  Change the "yes" to "no" and restart xinetd.

	/etc/init.d/xinetd restart
or
	killall -SIGUSR2 xinetd

> Sure, but you should only use s{cp,ftp} if you actually need the
> security. They're significantly slower.

I concur with this.

> transfer files, go with something fast unless you've got no other
> choice. (FTP is quite the speedy protocol, and I'm sure RH's ftpd
> won't have significant *performance* problems...)

I came in late to the discussion, over what lines are you
transferring/what speed computer do you have?  I've had a lot of success
scp'ing files and the speed decrease is very minimal in my experience.

I agree with Gabriel, if you can use encryption, go for it.  Unless you
really don't care about the data, you just want it to get passed along.
Another solution if it is too slow to scp and you need it encrypted is to
encrypt using a GNUpg/PGP keyset and they ftp'ing.

YMMV,
ep

--
Brian Epstein <ep@epiary.org>
Key fingerprint = F9C8 A715 933E 6A64 C220  482B 02CF B6C8 DB7F 41B4