Toby DiPasquale on Sat, 29 Dec 2001 18:10:19 +0100

Re: [PLUG] kernel compiling woes

Hi Chris,

	With RedHat, you must compile the eth0 and usb drivers as modules
and have them loaded at boot time. If you attempt to compile them in the
kernel, it will work fine until the first time you try to boot without the
NIC plugged in. At that point, it will hang forever, attempting to start
the network interface. Just compile them as modules and load them at boot
time. As far as I know, this is a slight problem with RedHat, not Linux in
general.

0100001101000010010000110100011101110101
<< Tobias DiPasquale >>
-=[ Solaris Systems Administrator ]=-
Villanova University ECE Dept.
mailto: anany@ece.vill.edu
-=[ Applications Engineering Consultant ]=-
BCS Solutions, Inc.
mailto: tdipasquale@bcssinc.com