Geoff Rivell on Mon, 31 Dec 2001 15:00:16 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Copying ext2 data partitions

On Monday December 31 2001 8:28, Michael F. Robbins wrote:

> The man page says "if possible", any hints on that?  (Will I get errors
> if it for some reason CANT preserve permissions on a particular file? I
> doubt it.)  So is there an option I'm missing, or is there a better way
> to do this alltogether?

If possible = Won't retain permissions if you copy to, say. FAT32 :-)

cp -ax is my prefered way to backup.  It copies what is on THAT filesystem.
So if you have a SMB mounted under /home/user/SMB/   it won't copy that.

Good luck!!!

--
Geoff Rivell: http://eoe.sourceforge.net/
Democracy: http://www.green-party.org/