Darxus on Wed, 2 Jan 2002 01:50:16 +0100

Re: [PLUG] <compumike:#plug> dude debian rocks!

On 12/31, Naresh Reddy wrote:
> I am curious, what is the standard package management in Linux (DPKG, RPM,
> etc...) Is there even a standard?

Linux is an operating system - one potentially modular program.  A Linux
Distro is a collection of a Linux kernel, and a bunch of other programs.
Sometimes they are packaged more conveniently than others.  One of the
more interesting things being done is the porting of Debian to the Hurd
operating system.  It's still Debian, but not Linux.  What I'm trying
to say is that package management doesn't have anything to do with the
Linux kernel, so no, there is no standard.

I think I heard somebody was working on abstracting the package formats
with xml or something.  Then make rpm, dpkg, and apt work with all of
them, and that would be very cool.

--
Do you believe your government could be vastly improved ?
Vote.  Don't waste it on a Republican or a Democrat.