William Shank on Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:29:02 -0500

RE: [PLUG] ATA100 vs ATA66

 wow! changing the -X68/69 setting for the drives brought buffered disk
reads from 9.6Mb/s to 16.6Mb/s for the ultra66 drive and from 11.8Mb/s to
32.2MB/s for the ultra100. cache reads remained the same with the ultra100
performing slightly poorer than the ultra66.

-----Original Message-----
From: epike@isinet.com
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: 1/3/02 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] ATA100 vs ATA66

did you try hdparm -I /dev/hdX and hdparm -i /dev/hdX to see
if theyre at the correct udma modes.  Personally I'd play
with hdparm especially the -d -W -c -X switches.  This varies
with the disk and controller (and could crash the disk if
switched wrong).

on my computer I get readings with a promise ultra tx2 card of:

ultra 100 - peaks at around 24 mb/s
ultra 66  - around 12 mbs

also the linux I installed did not set it up optimally at boot,
so I had to put some hdparm statements in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
to speed up the disk manually.  You should be able to switch
hdparm -X69 for udma100 and -X68 for udma66.  But again that
depends on the disk & controller.

JOndZ

> I got an ATA100 card to replace the ATA66, hoping to get the added
advantage
> of the 30G ATA100 drive (2 drives, one is ATA100, the other ATA66).
However,