LeRoy Cressy on Thu, 3 Jan 2002 21:10:24 +0100

Re: [PLUG] <compumike:#plug> dude debian rocks!

There are three main methods of package management for Linux.

rpm, dpkg, and tar

RedHat, SuSe and others use the rpm system which stands for RedHat
Package Management.
Debian, Corel, and others use dpkg which stands for Debian package
Slackware and maybe some others use gzipped tar files for their package
management system.

Slackware was one of the first Linux distributions which shortly came
out right around the time of the 1.0 kernel release.  With plain tar
archives there is no dependency checking, or anything.  A person
building a specific system that will do specific tasks that will not be
appended will find a slackware system useful.  There is no forcing
things to happen that you don,t agree with the one who built the
package.

RedHat and Debian both came out about the same time each with their own
package management systems.  Both provided dependency checking and both
have improved over time.  The choice of system is up to the end user.
Debian's dpkg is totally free while rpm was created by a commercial
endevor.  If you are a consultant building custom systems it would be
wise to use the dpkg system to stay out of trouble.  See the
http://www.debian.org for more information about the licence
information.

As far as a ``standard'' for package management system on Linux would
create a climate for another Microsoft.  If a company forced a package
management system standard as the only one for the Linux system then
they could lock up the system in a propritary fashion like M$ and
windows.

With the system as it is you have a choice of package management, and
everything else that is part of the Linux system.  Look at Mac OSX which
is really BSD and X with a fancy bloated desktop.  Take away the desktop
and you have a system just like Linux running the X window system with
your choice of window manager.  So with Apple using BSD and free
software and at the same time all of the Linux apps compiled to run on
BSD makes for an excellent system free from a standard controled by a
single entity.

I hope that everyone has had a happy new year and hope to see everyone
next Wednesday.

LeRoy

Naresh Reddy wrote:

> I am curious, what is the standard package management in Linux (DPKG, RPM,
> etc...) Is there even a standard?
>
> Thanks
> Naresh
> (Happy Holidays)

> > > Has anyone tried using this?  I wonder how effective it would be; much
> > > of the power of apt comes from dpkg and the deb package format...
> >
> > Most of the effectiveness comes from a clean design set by rule.
> > The other portion is deb format ;)
> >
> > --
> > Geoff Rivell: http://eoe.sourceforge.net/
> > Democracy: http://www.green-party.org/