Tim Peeler on Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:07:16 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Swap Size

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 11:52:28AM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> > From my Sair/GNU cert. course...
> >
> > 2XRAM, but a maximum of 100MB.
>
> A *max* of 100M? Really. Always heard higher, myself. And these days, 100M
> would even be 1X RAM. most likely.

You don't really need more than 100M swap.  Especially if you've got
plenty of RAM.  Even 128M Ram and 60M swap should do fine.  Take a
look at how much swap is in use right now.  Don't pay attention to
RAM, I find that even if you have 1G RAM most if not all of it will
be in use after even a couple of days (don't ask me why, i haven't
checked into it).  Think about how much disk thrashing you want
when someone mailbombs you before the kernel kills the process eating
all your memory (procmail, sendmail, qmail etc).

The kernel has always handled my memory just fine, only when I make
a HUGE swap partition disk IO really suffers.  Since dropping swap
down my disk performance has greatly improved.  If you find that you
really need more swap for some memory intensive application, you can
always increase the size of your swap by using a temporary looback
swap file.  For most purposes you don't need the huge swap.  If you
are doing something that always requires more memory, you'd be better
off gettting more RAM, rather than trying to save a few bucks and
use disk space.

Tim

@a=(Lbzjoftt,Inqbujfodf,Hvcsjt); $b="Lbssz Wbmm"
;$b =~ y/b-z/a-z/ ; $c =" Tif ". @a ." hsfbu wj"
."suvft pg b qsphsbnnfs". ":\n";$c =~y/b-y/a-z/;
print"\n\n$c ";for($i=0;$i<@a; $i++) { $a[$i] =~
y/b-y/a-z/;if($a[$i]eq$a[-1]){print"and $a[$i]."
;}else{ print"$a[$i], ";}}print"\n\t\t--$b\n\n";