multiple seriousity on Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:10:18 +0100

Re: [PLUG] monitor energy use

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> The cost -- even at full on -- is minimal.

This, depending upon your viewpoint, is debatable.  Personally, I've
managed to get my electric power usage down to 4.5kWh a day, and could get
it down even lower if I replaced all my bulbs with compact fluorescents..
which I haven't yet.  An LCD monitor, or even one energy star rated would
also help.  So, the issue can be looked at many ways... the impact of the
power generation on the environment, the type of power generation you use,
your personal exonomic standing, how frugal one is or wants to be, the
cost you pay for electric (I believe businesses actually get it much
cheaper than homeowners, but for homeowners.. at least inside philadelphia,
mack services group's standard plan is currently the cheapest if you
weren't part of the test-switch of power choice - which has different
rates.) I'm also aware of one guy locally who I believe, in a row home,
generates all or nearly all of his own power needs, by solar, with extra
to sell back to the grid.

The question I have is what is
> better for wear and tear on the monitor itself?

Well that is a good article that has been mentioned... one thing I would
as, as I think I mentioned before... is to have the monitor plugged into a
power strip, or power center with individual switches, and when you want
to turn off the monitor, turn it off from the power center.. that way you
don't cause wear and tear on the monitor's switch.

Of course, a lot of issues around "what is better for wear and tear
on" _fill_in_blank_here_ have advice or information that in most cases,
may or might not be just speculation and old wives tales.  Things like my
advice above, might not be true based on any sort of complex electronics
that may or may not be built into the device.  Who really knows without
actual tests and detailed knowledge of the individual systems?

For example, doesn't everybody's printers (at least, ink jet, and I assume
laser also) suggest ONLY shutting down a printer from it's own power
switch, and making sure that it's not on the same power strip as
everything else, so you don't accidentally shut it down when you turn
everything else off at the strip?

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Artists Resource Project: www.slackware.com/~msimons/arts/reuse/