Kevin Brosius on Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:29:22 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Remote X

Samantha Samuel wrote:

> > ?  So you did get a console session running through ssh, right?  At that
> > point, did you try to run a Xwindows program (like xterm)?  When you do,
> > you'll either get the window for that program locally, or an X
> > connection error.  Which do you get?
>
> Yes to first Q. When I start up xterm, I am at the prompt for my own
> machine. I don't seem to get connected at all. No errors are spit out
> either.

Hmm...  Well, there are actually three possibilities, but I assumed one
wasn't an option.

At the command prompt, when you type xterm, what happens?

1- the program appears to run, with the command on the line and the
console not responding to further input (don't background it with '&',
that way you can tell what it's doing.)

2- the program appears to run, and some time later an xterm appears on
your local screen (how long depends on the connection speed and the
machine's involved.  Did you say this was a dial-in connection?)

3- the program pauses briefly (few seconds, < 10) and the displays
something like:

  /usr/openwin/bin/xterm Xt error: Can't open display:

(that's on a Sun system, so ignore the path...)

Cases 1 & 3 suggest the ssh session didn't set up the X forwarding
correctly.  Are either of these what you see?  Case 2 is the working
case, but over a slow pipe it may take a long time for the local window
to be displayed.  I suggest xterm, because it's a lot lower overhead
than some other apps.  For example, I've tried to bring up Netscape
remote over a 90k DSL line, and it takes forever (several minutes).
It's not really usable.

--
Kevin Brosius