Time on Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:04:55 -0500

Re: [PLUG] VGA=<number>

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 09:02:32AM -0500, Marc Soda wrote:
> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:02:32 -0500
> From: Marc Soda <marc@aspre.net>
> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] VGA=<number>
>
> If you compiled frame buffer support into your kernel you can change
> the resolution of your console, have a look in
> '/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb'.  I have only had success with the
> generic vesafb, but the console looks much nicer than just changing the
> columns and rows.  With FB support you can also set your console to 16
> million colors, for beautiful 'ls --color=auto' output. ;)

Wow!

I had a chance last night to play with the generic VESA terminal and
even some of the high resolution consle font settings.
Its funny you mentioned this becuase this is precisely what I was after.
I've been using an Ultra 5 Sparc station at work and the VT's consolefonts
are so crisp looking. I want to see how close I can emulate this on
an x86 box.  Thanks!

> On 2002.01.21 22:01
> Time wrote:
> >
> >What format should I use to set
> >my vga=<number> in my lilo.conf?
> >

> >When I specify the vga=<number> in my lilo.conf,
> >that number should be the mode,
> >but the mode I want is falling into this format:
> >
> >a 0164 132x60
> >
> >where a is the way to chose the mode & 0164 is
> >the mode number (I tried this as <number> and
> >it didn't work) & and 132x60 is the lines X columns
> >(which I also tried and didn't work)
> >

> >Regards,
> >

> >Time
> >

> >   13