Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:48:17 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Debian and X

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, JP Toto wrote:

> Ok, so I am a bit new to Debian. I dist-upgraded to Woody tonight and now
> when I try and start X I get a "could not open default font 'fixed'"
> message. I've been combing through XF86Config but to no avail. Any
> suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes. Got to the line where it has the fontpath and delete it in the
XF86Config-4 file. It will be regenerated next time you startx. I don't
know why. Make sure you backup this file, though, just in case.

Don't delete the font stanza or what comes at the end, just the middle
line of the three. The line that comes after "font".

Fred Ollinger (follinge@sas.upenn.edu)
CCN sysadmin