LeRoy Cressy on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:13:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Debian and X

If I remember corectly, the original question in this thread is that the
person did a dist-upgrade from potato to woody.  A dist-upgrade would
not change X3.x to X4 since they are in different packages.  When I went
from potato to woody over a year ago the font paths and stuff got messed
up and I did the following:

# mv /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm /etc/rc2.d/noS99xdm
# /etc/init.d/xdm stop
$ startx 2> startx.log		(I think all of the messages on startx are STD
ERROR

look at this file and see where your system is hanging to find the
problem.

christophe barbé wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 04:28:51AM -0800, JP Toto wrote:
> > Well here's a problem.... I don't have an XF86Config-4
> > file. Maybe apt-get forgot to install a package?
> >

> Normally this file is created interactively during the install.
> Try to reconfigure your package:
>    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> Or if it's not enough, to reinstall it:
>    apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xfree86
>
> If you don't use 'xserver-xfree86' you use an old Xfree server. This
> should not be the case unless you have a hardware not supported by
> Xfree4.
>
> Christophe
>
> --
> Christophe Barbé <christophe.barbe@ufies.org>
> GnuPG FingerPrint: E0F6 FADF 2A5C F072 6AF8  F67A 8F45 2F1E D72C B41E
>
> There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're
> talking about. -- John von Neumann

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <