Chuck Peters on Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:06:40 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Full Partion

There is a utility to resize partitions (I think its ext2 only).
Partition Magic uses the same utility for Linux.  I haven't tried it
myself, but looked into it some time back when I was contemplating making
our laptop a dual boot Debian and Redhat.

Whatever you do, the standard warning is warranted.  Backup your data
before attempting changing partitions around.

You didn't mention how large /dev/hda4 is.  But if its large enough I
would copy everything over to it. Here is a little script I use on
occasion for copying things.  You should modify it so it doesn't include
lost+found.  Or maybe someone other PLUG person has a better script or
modification.

#!/bin/sh

if [ $# = 0 ]
then
        echo tarcopy copies directory structures
        echo Usage: tarcopy SOURCE DEST
exit 1
fi

echo Copying $1 to $2...
cd $1
tar cpvf - . | (cd $2; tar xpvf -)
echo done.

Assuming everything copies OK, change fstab and setup any symlinks you
might want, for example: cd / ; ln -s /usr/mp3 mp3

Note I would do this differently if it were a production server as I would
want to make sure I get all the data copied by disconnecting the network
and do it in single user mode.

If you have bandwidth and space else where on a LAN or WAN. Another thing
that can help if you need some more space, use rsync to move some of the
data (mp3) somewhere else temporaily.

Chuck