Robert J. Squire Jr. on Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:33:15 -0500

[PLUG] mgetty and pppd

Hello all:
I'm attempting to configure a server to allow dial in access.
I'm running debian wood on kernel 2.4.12.  ppp is compiled in.

my /etc/ppp/options:
--------------------------------
auth -chap +pap login modem crtscts debug proxyarp lock
--------------------------------

my /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 (modem is on com1):
--------------------------------
# If you need to set up multiple serial lines differently, then copy this
# file to options.<ttyname> for each <ttyname> with a modem on it.
#
# Example:
# options.ttyS1         for the second serial port (a.k.a. COM2)
#
# Edit the following line so that the first IP address mentioned is the is
# the IP address or name of your host, while the second is the IP address
# or name of the remote machine.

vpicserver:remotepeername
# 192.168.0.1:192.168.0.2
10.0.0.1:10.0.0.2
# You may also put additional settings in each file, just like in the
# general options file. For example:
#
# noauth
# debug
# defaultroute
# mtu 296
#
# Read pppd(8) for more information.
--------------------------------

from /etc/mgetty/login.config:
--------------------------------
#supposed to autostart pppd
/AutoPPP/ -     -       /usr/sbin/pppd
--------------------------------

from /var/log/mgetty/mg_ttyS0.log:
01/30 10:59:39 yS0  login: '/etc/mgetty/login.config' must be root/0600: Invalid argument

Also, there is no mention of pppd /var/log/debug except of the instance where I launched it from the console.  I added all desired dial in users to group dip (debian way I think).
It looks like pppd isn't getting called.
When I try to connect from a windows machine I get a loopback error.  I enabled the terminal login from dial up networking and after entering my username and password I am at a shell prompt with none of the ascii character garbage that pppd usually spits out.

Any ideas?  Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks:

Robert Squire

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, What should be the reward of such sacrifices? … If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom — go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you."  --Samuel Adams