Jon Galt on Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:33:36 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Apache hostname problem

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> > When I run /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start, it gives me the following alert:
> > Starting httpd: [Mon Feb 11 19:23:05 2002] [alert] httpd: Could not
> > determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for
> > ServerName
>
> Make sure you have a ServerName directive in your httpd.conf file:
>
> ServerName	aiur.bonsaisoftware.com

Ouch.  I'm sure you're right, but now all I get is:
Starting httpd:                                      [FAILED]

There's obviously something else I need to do.

Dumb question:  does it need to nslookup bonsaisoftware.com?  I've had the
name registered for a while, but it's not pointing anywhere yet and I'm
not running bind (or whatever), which I suspect might be another whole
can of worms.

Another point:  sometimes after I start httpd, and it uses 127.0.0.1, when
I do /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd status, it says:
httpd dead but subsys locked

Thanks,
Wayne