Jon Galt on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 01:20:13 +0100

[PLUG] Apache hostname problem

Can anybody help me with this?

* My server is running Trustix 1.5, which includes a package called
apache-1.3.20-11tr

* Postfix couldn't find my fully qualified hostname, but I fixed that by
running hostname and setting HOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/network (so it
sets the correct name on reboot).

* The hostname program now returns the correct fully qualified host name
(which is aiur.bonsaisoftware.com).  (No relation to bonsai.com, which I
just discovered is Bonsai Software, Inc., apparently located in
Emeryville, CA. I guess I should come up with another name....)

* I do not (yet) have a static IP from my ISP, and I am not forwarding any
IP traffic from my firewall through to the server.

*  When I run /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start, it gives me the following
alert:
Starting httpd: [Mon Feb 11 19:23:05 2002] [alert] httpd: Could not
determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for
ServerName
                                                           [FAILED]

* I can access the server on my LAN, which is really all I need to do
right now, but I would like to fix it so Apache runs without showing
[FAILED].

So how do I fix it so Apache can determine the domain name and use it?

Thanks,
Wayne