gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:21:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Changing MACs

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 10:57:42AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Why should comcast care about your ethernet card!  Come on they
> are stupid but not that stupid. You think you cannot replace a card
> in your computer if it goes bad? IT is MS and XP that screw you on
> that with their silly registration!

I think the MAC address discussion was purely speculative as far as
Comcast was concerned. ("If I can't get my Linux DHCP client to work,
what else could I try?") Also, there *are* cable ISPs that *do* base
their service on MAC addresses. (Kuzman, back me up here. :^>)

As far as MAC addr changing being useful, there are definitely
authentication formats that base themselves on it. (swarthmore.edu
uses such a mechanism to make it more difficult for people other
than students, faculty, and staff of the College to get a useful
network connection on its campus.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net