Nicholas Vettese on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:10:19 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: CG: Windows XP warning

From: Jon Galt <jongalt@pinn.net>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Fwd: CG: Windows XP warning
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:56:13 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> I don't think so.

I'm sure about it.  I used to teach a class in how to use MS Office (I
know it's a sacrilige, but they wanted it and they paid me for it).  As a
side note, the book I used explained the story of how IBM went to Bill
Gates to write the operating system, but he originally sent IBM to
somebody else, who refused to meet with them on their terms.  So IBM went
back to Bill Gates, and he agreed to do the software.  He then proceeded
to use somebody else's OS code, which as I understand it, he purchased
legitimately.  I'm less sure about this part, and the whole story could be
wrong I suppose.  But I know I'm remembering what the book said, although
unfortunately I can't find it right now.

It was the CP/M OS. Bill Gates sent IBM to the person who owned/wrote it, and he didn't like their terms.
Nick