Gleeson, Francis (HT-EX) on Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:50:13 +0100

[PLUG] OT does anyone know a low cost g.lite DSL modem source?

Title: OT does anyone know a low cost g.lite DSL modem source?

I have decided to ditch my cable-modem and go with DSL.
I will go with DCA.net because they seem like a good deal
and purport to be available in my area.

The DCA rep who was posting to plug mentioned that a used
G.lite ADSL modem could be had in the ballpark of $60.

Does anyone know a good place to buy used ADSL modems. I could
always goto ebay. However I tend to believe that ebay usually
bids thing up to the point where the buyer gets ripped off.
Does anyone know of a source for used ADSL other than ebay?

I am also considering buying new. GVC a canadian modem manufacturer
makes several model that are G.Lite compliant. One is a controllerless
PCI model that based on the ITEX chipset and supposedly has linux kernel
support? The PCI modem is of course cheaper, but the processor does the
work. Buying canadian also reduces the price because of the current
exchange rate.

Basically I want to own my modem but not get ripped off. Does anyone
on the list have any pointers, tips, or opinions.