Rebecca Ore on Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:20:18 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Wouldn't a news service be more appropriate?

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Joe Coyle wrote:

> Has the group ever considered using a news server?  It seems obvious that
> the news server format would give easier access to the valuable information
> produced by the PLUG discussions.  Postings would be neatly sorted by
> thread, and the subject line could be changed to reflect a new posting's
> content without disrupting the thread.  Basic ground rules on "reply
> quoting" would also be useful in reducing the clutter.  My two cents.

If there would be a convenient way to convert username/passwords, then it
wouldn't be that big a deal, I don't think.

Chris Beggy has done some mail to news gating, I think.  Don't know who else
would interested in running a private hieararchy.

People can presently use threading in email -- mutt does it quite neatly.

If you think PLUG list is active, you should try some of the SUN lists --
SunRescue, Geeks, SunAdminsistrator.

I like nttp a lot, but I'm not completely convinced it's better than a mailing
list in this instance.  If the topics were more discrete, then separate groups
under a private hieararchy make sense (bofh.* is an example of this --
different groups for serious discussions and other groups for comparing fetisch
objects and piercings).

You might want to try Gnus for mail -- it can be set to expire mail just as
though it was a news group.  (Don't ask me how -- I haven't set this up
myself).  Mutt works well enough, though I have to thin things myself.

I've heard that if you move mail to Gnus, it's not possible to read the mail
with other email programs, but the people who like Gnus for mail really like
it.  Things expire unless you make an effort to keep them; Gnus has search
facilities that I haven't fully explored myself, but there should be help
available.  If nobody here uses Gnus for mail, there's always the usenet group.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net