Michael F. Robbins on Mon, 18 Feb 2002 00:44:15 -0500

Re: [PLUG] MS Outlaws? (was Fwd: CG: Windows XP warning)

paul@dpagin.net wrote:
>> Microsoft also violated § 1 of the Sherman Act by unlawfully tying
>> its Web browser to its operating system.
>
>Isn't this what Konquerer is moving toward?  And what was
>that other Linux product that emulates Outlook?

Although at first glance a comparison between this open-source tool and
its closed-source counterpart seems a bit absurd, these kind of design
decisions are already taking place in Konqueror.  I say "design
decisions" because it is no longer the business side of any large
company driving these decisions.  I use Konq for everyday browsing, and
one of the most annoying things is dealing with mailto links.  It might
seem like a small inconvience, but the only e-mail program that will
open with the mailto link is KMail.  One could argue that this is using
Konqueror's position as the web browser/file manager/SCP
client/everything to increase KMail's ranks as an e-mail client.

Oh, and that product that emulates Outlook?  You're probably talking
about Ximian Evolution, which I'm using right now.  And of course, when
I click a link from my e-mail in Evolution, it only comes up in Mozilla
(the browser of choice in Ximian).

You get the point.  So feel free to make me feel stupid by telling me
how to change these application settings...

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com