Bill Jonas on Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:41:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Recommend a Laptop

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 03:32:23PM -0500, LeRoy Cressy wrote:
> If I remember right Toshiba had a lawsuit against them for the EULA and
> now they state that merely opening the case means that you except the
> terms of the license.  I think that the other companies have followed
> suit.

Wow.  To my understanding (IANAL), EULAs are on shaky enough legal
ground as it is.  Well, I don't see how they can get away with *that*
unless they provide you with a paper copy of it that you have to agree
to *before* you open the case.  ("By reading this sentence, you agree to
pay me $3,000.")

Perhaps a simple way around that: ask the sales person to "make sure it
works all right" before you leave.  That way, you're not the one
agreeing to the EULA.

Don't know.  It might work.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html