Jon Galt on Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:40:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] MS Outlaws?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

> At 03:24 PM 2/19/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >If two people and/or companies who might do business are not BOTH willing,
> >then that particular business will not be conducted.  Where is the
> >coercion in any of this?
> >
> >Nowhere.
>
> On the way back to your car after the next PLUG meeting, a stranger, larger
> than you, appearing to have a gun confronts you and give you the choice
> "your money or your life".  You "freely exercise" the choice he has given
> you and you chose to give him your money, which he takes and runs away.

Well that's a neat trick.  Turn a situation in which a thug is restricting
my choices, and make it sound like he's offering me choices.

You see if I were walking down the street after the next PLUG meeting, I
would have many choices about what to do next.  However, when the
humongous stranger (he'd have to be to be bigger than me! :-) ) threatens
that if I don't give him my money he's going to kill me, that means I'm
being forcibly prevented from doing lots of other things that I might
otherwise have chosen to do.  Go into a convenience store and buy a coke?
Nope.  Go install NetBSD on that old computer at home?  Nope.  Go visit my
girlfriend?  Nope, there's this guy threatening my life, you see.  I have
fewer choices, not more.  If I get out of this situation alive, then I'll
be back to where I was with lots of choices, but at the moment he's
threatening me, he's restricting my choices, not offering me choices.

> Have you been coerced or did you "make a choice"?  Where do YOU draw the line?

I draw the line at people minding their own business.  If your thug were
instead a vendor selling goods and said he wouldn't do business with me
unless I promised not to do business with his competitors on the next
block, I would simply choose to do business with him or not.  But he's not
threatening my life for not doing business with him.

> PS Are you having fun with the absurd extreme to which you have taken this
> argument, while we take your bait, or do you really believe this nonsense?

To be honest with you I do enjoy a good debate, although I believe it is
your example which is nonsense.  I really believe in the position I'm
taking, although I realize it's off topic, I find it hard to leave some
absurd arguments of others alone.

Wayne