marc on Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:30:11 +0100

Re: Re: [PLUG] Really Cheesey....but...

> _How_ do you get the outgoing?

> ==> aliases (for incoming)  and configuring sendmail (for outgoing mail).

Sendmail is arguably the most complicated, and most configurable unix program
in existence.  I would think that there is a way to configuring it to grab
outgoing mail in the sendmail.cf file somewhere, or maybe some kind of
wildcard alias that I don't know about.  If it comes down to it, sendmail
leaves a verification function open in one of the source code files, I don't
remember which exactly, but ALL mail passes through this function, the
purpose is for you to read the headers and see if it's mail you want to
accept, but I don't see why you couldn't use it to copy the mail as it passes
through.  This would of course require recompiling sendmail.  Let me know if
your interested in me researching this further, it would be a fun project for
me.  The other option would be to make some kind of proxy, or tunneling
program to that listens in place of sendmail and passes stuff onto it,
grabbing what it wants.

Marc