Doug Crompton on Mon, 25 Feb 2002 01:15:46 -0500

[PLUG] DNS Reverse Mappings

Can someone tell me what consequenses of NOT having reverse DNS are? I
have a small (block of 8) subnet supplied by a friend who has a class C
supplied to him. The class C is not registered reverse IP. It never has
been, I have been using it for years. I can remember at one time maybe not
being able to FTP somewhere but never since. The problem is this guy is
lazy and it is not him but rather the supplying provider to him that must
register it. I doubt that will ever happen.

If one were running say DSL with 1 IP address. I assume that address would
be reverse DNS'ed by the provider. Does that name have to match the
forward DNS that I would do locally? Does anyone nameserve on 1 IP
address? I would be namserving 10's of domains and returning one IP
address - virtual serving.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *