epike on Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:31:52 -0500

Re: [PLUG] debian and xinetd

> Can someone explain why xinetd is better? I think it is b/c you can drop
> config files into a dir which is easier to program for than editing a
> monolithic file, but there must be better reasons.

Personally I prefer the old style /etc/inetd.conf since
theres a lot of services in /etc/services and if all were
layed out as files there would be a lot of them; its also
unclear (to me at least) what the default behaviors of
services that are *not* in the directory are.

my $0.02 anyway..the reason I asked was I was curious if
the /etc/xinetd.d has become the new "correct" way of doing
things, having always been using RH.

JondZ / epike