Doug Crompton on Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:18:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DNS Reverse Mappings

No I meant if it failed sending to the primary address (A record) (after
MX lookup), due to reverse DNS error, would it go to the next MX, AND if
that MX was reverse DNS legal, send it to there. That MX site would then
send it to the first site that could not be reached.

I still do not understand how reverse DNS can match forward DNS on a
single static IP DSL connection. Assuming you were using many virtual
domain names assigned to that address (multiple A records in differnet
zones to same address). Would the provider register ALL of the domain
names in CNAME reverse records? The owning party has to register reverse
records right? and no one owns a single IP address by itself.

I do my own nameserving but I have no authority over the IP addresses and
thus the reverse mappings. I can (and do) have local reverse zones defined
but they go nowhere  because I am not authoritative for those. Local
reverse lookups work for my domains, but for someone outside it would
fail.

 Doug

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 10:07:01PM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > I was aware of that. I wonder if the reason I have never experienced this
> > is that my secondary MX is reverse DNS qualified. Does sendmail fail
> > entirely or drop to the secondary MX upon reverse DNS failure?
>
> I'm not aware of any SMTP servers looking up forward and reverse when
> sending mail *to* an MX server.  What was referred to was when *your*
> server is sending mail to another one.
>
> --
> Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
>
> Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html