Jon Galt on Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:40:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] fire wall question(s)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Mike Leone wrote:

> > Now this is useful.  What can be done with simply an open port number?
>
> If nothing is listening on that port, not a lot, I think, since the
traffic would come to the port, but nothing would process the traffic.
Conside the IDENT (or AUTH) port (113). I know people who open that port
on their firewall, but never run an IDENT daemon. So, to the other side,
it's a timeout .. and not a direct REJECT, which some places don't like.

Hmmm.  I thought what it meant for a port to be "open" was for there to be
software running to process the traffic.  But apparently traffic can not
only be ignored, but rejected?  I assume this would mean sombody listening
on that port and generating "reject packets" or some such...

> I suppose it could be made into a DOS.

Denial of Service, I assume that means.  Which situation would allow DOS:
having the port closed, or open but not listened to?  I would think the
former, but I'm not sure yet that I know what "closed" means.

Perhaps I should read a HOWTO on security or something, since I seem to be
mostly in the dark on this.

Thanks,
Wayne