Doug Crompton on Wed, 27 Feb 2002 02:17:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DNS Reverse Mappings

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Bill Jonas wrote:

Thanks Bill,

  That is what I though. I have been running without reverse for years and
no one has complained. My connection with Microserve is via someone else
who has a Class C and he is either to lazy or does not want to  register
anything. At this point I say why bother. But I did want to understand how
that could be done with a provider if I had one static IP instead of
access to the class C, like I do now. You answered my question.

I can see how nameserving could be a full time job for at least one person
in a moderate size ISP!

And just perhaps this thread could be of help to others on PLUG in the
future.

Doug

> All that said, however, I can't think of any standard software that
> would refuse to send mail to you because mail.crompton.com resolves to
> 204.183.201.225 and 204.183.201.225 doesn't have a reverse mapping.  And
> I can't imagine that *if* it did, that it wouldn't continue down the
> list of MX servers in priority order.
>
> --
> Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
>
> Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html