Paul on Fri, 1 Mar 2002 15:19:31 -0500

Re: [PLUG] IBM Thin Client and Red Hat Linux Networking

> After comparing the results, we can see NetVista doesn't reply to
> arp request! This is why RH can't ping NetVista. But why can a W2k
> box ping NetVista? I have not figured out.

What I'm wondering is if it's RH that is not working properly or if
it's Win2k that's being brainless.  If the NetVista doesn't respond
to an ARP request, how does Win2k know it is pinging the proper
interface?

I haven't really used this, but is "arpwatch" running on the RH box?

> After the ping, RH will have an entry for the pinger in its arp
> table.

I would think Win2k will act the same way.  Maybe not with the
NetVista.  Also, I don't think it will work through the switch.

Hey!  That might be why RH can ping through the router or switch.  I
bet the router or switch is responding to the ARP requests, even
thought the NetVista on the other side is not.