Forge 2000 on Sat, 9 Mar 2002 00:10:12 +0100

RE: [PLUG] Computer Problems

SBLive = the bad.

Yank it and see if the problem disappears.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of David Hull
Sent: March 8, 2002 17:05
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Computer Problems

Hey Guys-

    I work for a company that sells research equipment.  These machines
are
operated using computers, in this case a Dell Precision 330 running
WinNT 4.0
(service pack 5).  In order to run the machine we have to install 3 pci
cards in
the computer, a motion controller, an additional network-like card, and
a sound
card.  Note:  the computer's have a PCI bus.  Here's the problem:  when
these
cards are installed on the machine, it locks up.  Sometimes at boot-up,
sometimes
while running, sometimes resulting in a physical memory dump.  I'm
positive that
it's not the cards, because I took the cards out of another computer we
have
running the machine (a Dell Optiplex GX 110), and used those and the
same thing
happened.  I've set up 5 of these machines in the last 4 months, 2 using
the
Precision 330's, 3 using Precision 430's.  The 2 330's both experience
the same
problem.  I need to find a solution to this problem.

1.  I need to definitively tell Dell that there is a problem with their
computers
and get them to fix it.

2.  I need to find out what the problem is and fix it.

I know that this is Linux group, but you guys are all very knowledgeable
about
computers, and while I know a fair amount, I am stumped by this.  There
are only
two things that I can think of that are different between the two types
of
computers (in terms of how I set them up).  First, I had to reinstall
the OS on
both of them because I put the wrong kind of sound card in and it didn't
work
properly.  I checked with Dell to see if I missed any steps when I did
this, they
say no.  Second, I installed the sound cards (Sound Blaster Live) vs.
having Dell
install them.  This means I used generic sound blaster drivers.  I ran
the Dell
Diagnostics test and it did not report any errors.  If anyone can think
of any
tests I can run to find out what the problem is, or has heard of similar
problems
with these computers, please talk to me.  I'm VERY desparate!

Thanks in advance,

    Dave