gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:45:58 -0500

Re: [PLUG] X Configuration problems

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 11:27:17PM -0500, Naresh Reddy wrote:
> I have a permedia II card ( 3dlabs), and I am trying to configure it. I
> can't seem to find the 3dlabs driver when I do  xf86cfg -textmode. What is
> another option for me.

Hrm. Well, you can just use the SVGA driver, but you won't get any
hardware acceleration. I'm guessing this is XF86 4 since you're
using xf86cfg rather than xf86config.

According to http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status3.html#3, you want
the glint driver.

> Goodluck to  J.P on his ticket dilema. I don't know if anyone mentioned
> this, but the Radar are usually +/- 8 mph, so you can probaly pull
> something on that.

Maybe, maybe not. With counsel, it is easy (though not cheap, in the
immediate sense, nor by any means a sure thing) to convert a speeding
ticket of, say, fifteen miles per over (or a variety of other moving
violations, following too closely, for instance--really, I CAN
control my vehicle well enough when both I and the car in front of
me are accelerating up an entrance ramp that four feet's plenty,
thanks) to a speeding ticket of five over the limit, which is a
no-points offense.

See, the thing is, no PA cop ever writes a ticket for speeding five
over. Because radar detectors aren't that good and because the fine
listed for it is minimal (J.P. would still be paying his original
fine plus his court costs plus probably an extra fine assessed by
the court).

More than that, local police officers in PA are not allowed to use
radar guns at all (only state troopers are), so they use either
the stop watch method (that is, start the watch when you hit one
mark, stop the watch when you hit a mark a certain distance away)
or the pacing method (follow behind you, watch their speedometer).

Both of these are obviously error-prone, so local cops (in the
county and in the city, to the best of my knowledge, but don't take
my word for it) are not allowed to write tickets for less than 10
MPH. If you get one for less than that, go to court (alone will be
fine in this case), point out the statute in question (I don't
remember exactly, but it's in the county codes, there's a copy in
your public library), and the judge will throw the ticket out.

Yeesh, this off-topic thing is getting excessive. I have LOTS of
experience with moving violations. If anyone wants more specific
advice, they should email me privately. I'm done blathering on the
list.

That, and this'll all probably REALLY get me on Trooper John's black
list... ;^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net