Guillermo Moyna on Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:13:21 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Hardware Recommendation needed

I was thinking about getting an external case that can house the cdrom and supply power, and just running an IDE cable out the back of the computer, and into this cdrom case.

Any ideas on the availability of such a case? Any ideas for better solutions?

I've done this with ISA devices (a pulse programmer), and had it working properly. Basically, you just run your IDE flat cable through an openining in the back, and if you cannot find a case with an IDE connector on it, just take advantage that the cable is flat and get it into the external enclosure through the narrow gap between the cover and the body of the enclosure. You can get CD-ROM enclosures that will let you do this in places like JAMECO (http://www.jameco.com) or, although a bit pricy, ANACAPA Micro (http://www.anacapamicro.com). I'm sure that a Google search will give you tons of places you can get these.

Just one thing - Make absolutely certain that the ground of the external CD-ROM case and the ground of the PC are well connected to each other. Otherwise the voltages of one devicve will 'float' with respect to the voltages of the other, and really bad things could happen. I was amazed to find out that inductive currents in non-grounded things can create voltage differences of 100 to 500 volts from each other - This was a 'personal' test: A non-grounded PDP-11 (yes, you read right, a PDP-11) gave me a nice jolt when I touched it while I was holding a grounded piece of equipment.

G.

+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
  All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Grifith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu