Jaiwant Mulik on Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:53:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Hardware Recommendation needed

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Guillermo Moyna wrote:

> >Short honest answer: I don't know.  I always thought that cases were
> >pretty motherboard specific, and not fungible.
> >
> >Art
>
> Actually, Doug is right. A new $50 case with a 300 watt power supply
> should be the best solution. What mobo do you have? Certainly an
> ATX-form. Most ATX-form cases will fit a huge variety of mobo's form
> different manufacturers...

That is true in most cases ... but not always as I recently learnt. I
bought a $35 "ATX-form factor" case from the Computer show at Valley Forge
and my mobo (a Shuttle AI61, Solt A) would not fit. The Athlon 800 processor
was grazing against the Power Supply. I (in desperation to get the thing
working) put some insulator between the processors and ps and things
worked fine ... for a while. After about 2 months I have a dead PC sitting
on my desk ... the the processor is blown (I tried replacing
everything, but the processor). I now firmly blame this to the processor
touching the PC (the insulator must have fallen off).

Moral of story ... all ATX form factor cases (or mobos) are not created
equal ... it  is best to buy a "full ATX from factor" and not a
"mini ATX-form factor" reliable brand box (and possibly one which
is easy to return).

Sigh.

> G.
>
> +==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
> Guillermo Moyna, PhD
> Assistant Professor of Chemistry
> Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
> University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
> 600 South 43rd Street
> Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
>
>   "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
>    All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.
>
> Office: Grifith Hall 360
> Phone:  (215) 596-8526
> Fax:    (215) 596-8543
> e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu
> WWW:    http://tonga.usip.edu/gmoyna/index.html
>          http://www.usip.edu/chemistry/faculty/moyna.asp

Jaiwant Mulik
Email        : jmulik@temple.edu (preferred), jmulik@acm.org
Home page    : http://unix.temple.edu/~jmulik
Location     : Netlab, Room 1043/1044, Wachman Hall.
Phones       : (215) 204-3197 (o), (215) 460-1125 (c)
Lekin woh zindagi he kya, jisme koi namumkin sapna na ho ?

I may climb perhaps to no great heights, but I will climb alone.
- Cyrano De Bergerac