Michael Leone on Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:23:58 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Virus Writing HOWTO

On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 08:37, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

> Is the real reason *nix is relatively spared virus problems practical
> rather than technical?

What about Win2000, then? It's security model tries to come close to a
Unix model, with user accounts deliberately kept separate from the
"root" user.

> I feel that even my windows computer is safer than most since I don't have
> Outlook installed.  I've lost count of the times a virus has infected a
> list to which I subscribe, only to find that nothing happens to my system
> running either Eudora or Pegasus (with all the Outlook features turned off).

Well, doesn't Eudora use the underlying IE HTML engine to display HTML
messages, and therefore is still (somewhat) susceptible to the
HTML-based viruses?. I think Pegasus *can*, but does not have to, make
use of IE to display HTML email.

And the newer viruses come with their own SMTP engines these days,
meaning that Outlook is not required.

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

The secret of flying is simple: Throw yourself at the ground and miss.