Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:28:29 -0500

[PLUG] mkinitrd

Did anyone ever give a talk on how to compile kernels for rh? I'd love to
see that. I'm having lots of trouble, and I've been assured that
'everything works great'. I really believe this, but I'd like to have a
tutorial on it where someone compiles a kernel step by step and tell us
why.

I did mkinitrd and all the other things the tutorial said to do and I
couldn't get a kernel to load on rh 7.2. I have had good luck (yes it's
luck to me) w/ rh 6.2 and the 2.2 stock kernels.

Stock kernels are great, but I really believe that one should compile
one's systems kernel. Probably a religious belief by now. :)

Fred Ollinger (follinge@sas.upenn.edu)
CCN sysadmin