Doug Crompton on Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:54:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] xDSL

I spoke with a gentleman at the PA Public Utility Commission at length. He
was very knowledgable. I will summarize the call.

First they no longer take DSL complaints but he was aware of the problem
and explained reasons for it. DSL is not regulated like phone service is
but even phone service in PA is a priviledge and NOT a right! Verizon has
basically set an 18K feet loop limit and they apparently have the right to
do that. There is no law in the deregulation that would make them do
otherwise. I would suspect they have to abide by their own rule otherwise
the competition would have a complaint. Other states and areas have
different rules and DSL is being rolled out at much longer loops
elsewhere.

The solution is to complain. I enlist you do help us all in this and file
a formal complaint. The website is:

http://puc.paonline.com/

and the form is at:

http://puc.paonline.com/consumer_services/official_complaint_form_final.pdf

The PA State offcie of comsumer affairs can be reached at 1-800-441-2555

Also it is important to let your legislators know!

He also told me that the one biggest area of complaint was CABLE!

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *