Adam Schaible on Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:10:16 +0100

Re: [PLUG] sound card troubles

I agree with Ramesh, before you do anything else check
the mixer. Your problems could be over in just a few
minutes. But if you're still having trouble... well I
had sound problems when I uprgaded to mandrake 8.1 a
few months ago. I talked to a bunch of people (thanks
PLUG for helping out) and what worked for me was
installing ALSA sound drivers - get the source and
docs at www.alsa-project.org. I found ALSA to be a
qualitative improvement over the OSS/Free drivers I
had used in previous installs. I didn't have to
recompile my kernel to install ALSA, I just compiled
the drivers as modules then edited /etc/modules.conf
(it took a couple tries to get this right) and I was
all set.

However - I could not get the mixer program for ALSA
(amixer) working right so I downloaded the RPM for
aumix, a mixer with little gtk widgets that runs in X.
It does have dependencies so keep an eye open. You can
find it on Cooker... Aumix works really well and I
would recommend it even for people who don't use ALSA.

Adam Schaible
Conshohocken, PA