Bill Jonas on Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:25:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] upgrade apache on redhat

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 02:10:36PM -0500, Michael Whitman wrote:
> I need to upgrade apache because the current version has problems serving
> pdfs to windows machines.

Are you sure you need to upgrade Apache?  What errors are you seeing?
What MIME type does the server say the file is?

> Can I safely take the latest apache rpm from Redhat and do an upgrade?

Yes.

> I do have SSL enabled and have a verisign certificate installed.  Will
> upgrade screw that up somehow?
> Does the upgrade just replace the executables or will it overwrite my
> configuration files (httpd.conf).

Alas, I hear that RPM manages configuration files poorly.  (I'd love to
hear differently.)  Don't know about the certificate.  If you decide to
upgrade, I highly recommend you back up all those sorts of configuration
files (certificate, httpd.conf, etc).

If the problem is the MIME type the server offers the file as, then
check the file referenced from the TypesConfig directive in your
httpd.conf (probably /etc/mime.types).  Make sure that there's a line
that looks like "application/pdf pdf".  If not, you'll probably serve up
the PDFs with a MIME type of text/plain (or whatever Apache's
DefaultType directive specifies), which will almost certainly not do
what you expect.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html