Arthur S. Alexion on Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:32:28 -0500

Re: [PLUG] other alternatives, was "xDSL"

At 02:28 PM 3/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:

Cable is available almost everywhere! I do not have it to the house but I
could if I wanted. Who wants it! I need a static IP and no blocked ports.
If I wanted TV I would get directTV. I cannot imagine why everyone does
not. Picture quality, price and services exceed cable.
Doug

What ever happened to DirectPC, the Internet counterpart of DirectTV? Still around? Viable?

Also, just before I moved my office from center city to the suburbs, I was solicited by a company called Teligent. Teligent provided local call service via a small roof top dish on each center city office building. Except in the inevitable instances where the person you were talking to was not on Teligent, Verizon was bypassed altogether. No lines = no line charges. Teligent also provided Internet service through its satellite network. Anyone know anything about this? Is Teligent still making a go of it? How is the Internet service?

I just switched my local carrier from Verizon to AT&T. Verizon charges business callers 7¢ a minute for local calls. AT&T does not. I have a feeling that we are going to see a lot of benefits from local call competition. (I have no idea how this switch might affect my ability to get DSL.)

Art Alexion                 """         mailto:arthur@alexion.com
                          <(©¿©)>
Arthur S. Alexion LLC       «o»            http://www.alexion.com