Bill Jonas on Sat, 23 Mar 2002 06:20:10 +0100

Re: [PLUG] other alternatives, was "xDSL"

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 08:02:45PM -0500, Tom wrote:
> If the two-way service is the same quality as the one-way, it's not
> worth it.  I had the one-way service for a year.  Linux was only
> supported through costly third party options.  The throughput never
> was consistent or fast.  The first thing I did when I moved was get
> DSL.

I've never had satellite myself, but I've heard that latency sucks.
I've seen distance calculations that show a minimum of 500ms latency for
every request; this is the time it takes for the signal to make two
round-trips from the earth to the satellite, so you're down a
half-second on every packet just on latency.  If the land link is
congested, you could easily be up to three-quarters of a second.

Note that bandwidth != latency, but high latency doesn't do any good for
bandwidth, either...

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html