Jon Galt on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 22:10:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] "evils of PPPOE"

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:30:19PM -0500, Jon Galt wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 pinkee@cavegirl.org wrote:
> > > In this case I think pppoe is a useful tool. but, forcing
> > > login's in some other manner must be possible without the limitations of
> > > pppoe.
> > What limitations are you referring to?
>
> Rather than chattering implications back and forth, why don't we all
> just go read the documentation about this?
>
> http://www.redback.com/en-US/whitepp/pdf/wp_pppoe_comparison.pdf

Thanks Gabriel, that is an interesting article.  I don't see anything
about limitations of PPPoE in it.

My objection to PPPoE is very minor.  It just seems strange to me that I
have to "log in" to a so-called "always on" connection.  And with a static
IP, at that!  In a previous location I had cable modem (without a
staticIP), and there was no requirement for me to log in at all.  The
cable modem just re-established a connection and got a new IP whenever the
power was cycled.  I just plugged my router into it, and there I was, on
the internet.

Regarding the ease of use of PPPoE mentioned in the article, I must say
that I found it rather easy because my Linksys router has built into it
the ability to talk to the ISP via PPPoE.  Whenever somebody on my LAN
tries to send to the internet, the router automatically connects if
necessary.  My windows boxes and Linux boxes can equally access it with no
problem, and without any need to know any special connection protocols.
Since I run a web server (which Earthlink has no problem with), I run a
cron job to make sure that if for some reason the connection goes away, it
gets reestablished   This doesn't happen often.

By the way, the article used PVC several times.  What does it mean?

Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire wayne:
http://hirewayne.com

wayne@hirewayne.com