Bill Jonas on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 22:50:28 +0100

[PADS] Re: [PLUG] Updating Libranet

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 06:43:57PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> When I tried this before, I got many instances of kde bits not
> installing - kdelibs and kdebase, from what I remember. Something about
> some file existing in multiple packages ...

Oh yeah, I've seen that before.  Some of the packaging for KDE is a bit
wonky; two packages contain the same file, which is A Bad Thing.  I look
at the error messages and determine which package is failing to install
(it'll give you the file name, ie,
/var/cache/apt/archives/foo_0.1-1_i386.deb), then install it with 'dpkg
-i --force-overwrite filename'.  After that, I continue on my business.
apt-get dist-upgrade may tell you you need to run 'dpkg --configure -a'
first, in which case you should do that followed by the dist-upgrade.
(It may also tell you to run 'apt-get -f install'.  Do that too, then.)

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html