halverson on Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:50:13 +0100

[PLUG] Re: linux movie

> From: "Michael Lazin" <mmlazin@hotmail.com>

>A friend of mine sent me this link.  Apparently there is a documentary
film
>about linux and the open source revolution

>http://www.revolution-os.com/

<delurk>

It has been running on the Independent Film Channel for the past few weeks.

I found it fascinating. Quite a bit of coverage of Richard Stallman,  Linus
(of course), and other heavies in the OSS movement.
It covers both the development of Linux and Open Source Software, also
touching on Stallman's Gnu Project that started it all, in a
sense. They ran that with E-Dreams and Startup.com consecutively last week
(the others being documentaries on a couple of crash and burn dot.coms)

I found Revolution OS interesting mostly because it addresses its subject
in a way new for most, but it really could have been much better.
I felt it scratched the surface more than anything, but that is a surface
that is interesting to me, and probably most of the readers of this list.

I was a little dubious as to the portrayal of Linux advocates as a whole.
The last couple of minutes are ridiculous (no spoilers).

Bill Halverson
Research for Better Schools
halverson@rbs.org