Martin DiViaio on Sun, 31 Mar 2002 05:46:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] file system error on boot

On the 30th day of March in the year 2002 you wrote:

> Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 00:36:48 -0500 (EST)
> From: Jon Galt <jongalt@pinn.net>
> To: Plug List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
> Subject: [PLUG] file system error on boot
>
> Greetings fellow PLUGgers, I have a friend with this problem:
>
> Being much less of an expert than I would like to be, I think it'll be
> more productive to just ask if anybody here can help...
>
> So, what's a superblock, and what should I tell him to do?
>
> Thanks,
> Wayne

An EXT3 filesystem IS EXT2 only with journaling turned on. In fact, you
could mount an EXT3 filesystem as EXT2 and you would not notice the
difference except that the journals would not be maintained.

Your friend is running fsck.ext3 incorrectly. The fsck program wants a
device not the mount point of a device. Since you did not say what
drive/partition/interface the root partition (/) is on, I can't tell you
what device you are looking for.