Kevin Brosius on Mon, 1 Apr 2002 08:50:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Can't compile kernel on Libranet

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 12:33:49PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> > HUNH. That was it. Yet I'm almost certain I never had to LOGIN as root
> > to do make xconfig before (w/Mandrake); I could do a "su", and then
> > issue a make xconfig.
> >
> > Oh, well. It worked, so thanks.
>
> Which only means that you'd stashed an xhost +localhost in your dot
> files somewhere and forgotten it.
>
> This isn't the kind of thing a distro ought to be changing locally.
> (It's part of XFree86.)

Or possibly not.  I noticed that XFree86 4.2.0 no longer requires xhost
changes for root owned apps when X is running as another user.
Everything else works the same, tho.  I don't recall the reasoning for
this change, but I suspect that it was a combination of convenience and
realization that protecting X from the local root user was a moot point.

The change went into late 4.2.0 development, so depending on what
version of XFree86 was in the distro, you might see different behaviour.

--
Kevin Brosius