Jing Teng on Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:56:26 -0500

RE: [PLUG] network/ssh question

Check your dns or hosts settings.

It happened to me once that my telnet and ftp took for ever to get
through, the problem was the dns server did not know the client machine.
After I put the client in dns or the hosts file, it worked.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of eric@lucii.org
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 11:42 AM
To: PLUG
Subject: [PLUG] network/ssh question

I'm not a networking guy... I don't even play one on tv.

But, I'm trying to understand something here....

I am responsible for running a small business network.  We're running a
e-smith server/firewall.  We want to use port forwarding to allow an
"outside" application (ssh and/or mysql and/or http) to get "through"
the firewall to a specific internal server.

So, I tell e-smith to forward port NNNN to port 22 (for ssh)
on the server.  So far so good.  I log into a remote server
and try the following command:

     ssh -l username -p NNNN IP.IP.IP.IP

          (where IP.IP.IP.IP is the "outside" address
           for the e-smith server)

I get no response.  The client just "hangs" until interrupted by ctrl-C.
If I try to telnet to it this happens:

   telnet IP.IP.IP.IP NNNN
   Trying IP.IP.IP.IP...
   Connected to thedomain.dnsalias.com.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.9p2

Then it "hangs" and must be interrupted.

Why won't the ssh client complete the connection?
Does it need another port to be forwarded?
I can post the /etc/rc.d/init.d/masq file if that helps anyone.

TIA.
Eric

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth